Top 10 Takeaways From The Power Of Discipline
1. “They understand that you don’t need to be busy to be productive. The monks are taught that to avoid burn-out, you need to slow down. This is one of the reasons why they meditate.”
2. “When you make healthy choices, self-discipline is strengthened; on the other hand, making unhealthy choices diminishes self-discipline.”
3. “Discipline is about doing what you know you’ve got to do even when you don’t feel like it. But for your efforts to make a difference, you must be consistent. Slacking off every other day isn’t going to get you to your destination any more quickly.”
4. “When we are in high-stress situations, large doses of cortisol and adrenaline are released, which activates the ‘fight, flight or freeze’ response. The average person is unable to control this process, but the Navy SEALs are capable of doing so because they have been trained to, and depending on the situation, their responses to stressful situations could mean the difference between life and death.”
5. “When you train yourself to focus on what’s happening in the present as opposed to the things that could have been and might have been in the past, you will ultimately become a lot more productive”
6. “It’s the norm for us to identify with our urges, but urge surfing helps us separate ourselves from the bad habits we desire to correct. Instead of thinking, “I feel like eating cake,” say, “I have an urge to eat a piece of cake.” In this way, you are not fighting yourself but the sensation you are experiencing, you can then allow it to pass. It’s difficult to fight urges, but observing them without identifying with them increases your chances of overcoming them.
7. “They are often the same person in private as they are in public because they value integrity.”
8. People shouldn’t be afraid of failure, they should be afraid of regret.
9. Satori” is a Japanese term similar to Zen, meaning “flash of inspiration” or “first showing.
10. In other words, your level of self-discipline will control your level of success in your place of employment, relationships, finances, academics, etc. There are many benefits associated with self-discipline.
Thank You For Reading!
If you would like to read more of my stories or anything similar, feel free to become a Medium member for only $5 a month through my link ->https://medium.com/membership/@jamalmaison